Re: ASM or not to ASM

  • From: "~Jeff~" <jifjif@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RStorey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 09:10:16 +1200

Hi Robert

An alternate view - our setup is somewhat different  - HPUX v11.23 (no fancy
AIO or DIO...) and EMC SAN.  In this case I'd do ASM just to get AIO and
DIO, since we bottleneck on IO now and then.

But if it was Win2k8 which I understand doesnt have those restrictions,
unless you have other disk-ish issues such as rapid growth or unbalanced IO
(across disks) I don't think I'd bother with ASM other than as a CV bullet
point :)

my 2c...
-jeff