ASM on SAN

  • From: Chen Shapira <cshapi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 11:16:29 -0800

Hi Oracle-L,

I'm preparing to install ASM using our EVA storage and I'm trying to
decide how many volumes to request from my storage manager.

There are two configurations we consider:
1) Ask for two volumes - one for data files, the other for flashback,
archive logs, backups, etc. Then run ASM with external redundancy and
external striping. Let EVA do the RAID thing for us.
2) Ask for multiple data volumes and multiple backup volumes.
Configure ASM to do its own striping. Since EVA will do its own
stripe+mirror thing, we'll have double striping.

I'm leaning toward the first option since it seems more manageable.

Does anyone on the least have a good reason to go with the second
option? I'm worried that I'm missing something, because all ASM papers
natually assume there will be multiple ASK "disks".

Chen