ASM on Linux 6

  • From: "Gillfillan, Marianne J." <Marianne.Gillfillan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 06:54:17 -0500

Did anyone else see the announcement from Oracle that they will not be
providing ASMlib for kernels distributed by RH as part of RHEL 6, only for
Oracle kernels?  See Metalink Note 1089399.1:

"For RHEL6, Oracle will only provide ASMLib software and updates when
configured with a kernel distributed by Oracle. Oracle will not provide ASMLib
packages for kernels distributed by Red Hat as part of RHEL6. ASMLib updates
will be delivered via Unbreakable Linux Network(ULN) which is available to
customers with Oracle Linux support. ULN works with both Oracle Linux or Red
Hat Linux installations, but ASMlib usage will require replacing any Red Hat
kernel with a kernel provided by Oracle."

To me, this sounds like Oracle is forcing all ASM Linux sites to buy into their
support structure and drop RH support.  When we investigated the cost between
RH and Oracle Linux support, we found Oracle Linux to be more expensive than RH
(when comparing apples to apples).  For those on an already tight budget, this
is not going to sit well.

I had also heard that this may have something to do with RedHat's decision to
pre-bundle patches in the kernel, making it more difficult for Oracle to
provide Red Hat support (and take away customers from Red Hat support):

http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/72012.html?wlc=1303298360

If that's the reason, it's going to backfire on RedHat as all those running ASM
on Linux will have to flip to Oracle Support just to be able to download ASMlib
updates.  They'll end up losing customers anyway.  The only other option is for
ASM customers to drop the use of ASM and lose all the great functionality it
provides.  Tough decisions ahead, I believe.

Marianne

Marianne Gillfillan, OCA
CAIS Technical DBA
Marianne.Gillfillan@xxxxxxxxxxxx