RE: ASM of any significant value when switching to Direct NFS / NetApp / non-RAC?

  • From: "CRISLER, JON A" <JC1706@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "robert.hanuschke@xxxxxxxxx" <robert.hanuschke@xxxxxxxxx>, "dananrg@xxxxxxxxx" <dananrg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 06:53:51 +0000

The only thing I have not seen mention regarding the ability to ADD new
luns-filesystems, say on a different array or even a different vendor's array,
and move the data over without any oracle downtime.  Can dNFS do that? ( I
don't know).  With ASM on 11.2 you can move the data around with no db
downtime.  With NFS I think at best you get tablespace offline / online (and
RMAN too) or moving tables between tablespaces which has availability
limitations.

I just finished moving a 11.2 RAC from EMC to NetApp with zero downtime (RH
Linux 5).