RE: ASM # of Files

  • From: <krish.hariharan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Lisa.Koivu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 14:01:08 -0600

My experience is with building using LUNS that are roughly 45G in size and
saw the database grow from 0 to about 20TB in a span of about 4 months while
at the same time supporting the application and queries. So my experience is
that ASM handles this extremely well although a lot of LUNS from what I
understand can affect boot times (boot with reconfig, IIRC). I can't
remember how many devices there were but it was a whole lot of them and
neither the OS nor ASM was particularly affected by it (a bit of head in the
sand approach since there were no effects that were perceptible).  Since
your horizon is a few years I would think this should be ok since swapping
out devices from under the disk groups is not difficult either which I have
done to move from 45G to 200G devices of a different kind.

-Krish

  _____