Re: ASM mirroring, which is good?

  • From: "Charles Schultz" <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 11:12:21 -0500

I have been exchanging a few messages with Kevin Closson on a topic very
similar to this, and I look forward to what he has to say. Basically, I
think it comes to an issue of theory versus practice. Your observation about
a lack of performance problems "as is" sets the stage appropriately. I
assume you are mirroring on the back-end, right (hence the external
redundancy). You want to mirror at ASM on top of hardware mirroring? In
theory, that would degrade performance. In practice, you not might see any
difference. Really depends on what you are doing.

Striping, on the other hand, is a completely different story. *grin*

On 7/2/07, Syed Jaffar Hussain <sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello List,

We have recently implemented 2 node RAC on AIX, with ASM defined external
redudancy option.

We didn't come across of any performance problems with this
option. However, I would like hear from any of you about the performance
difference setting external or normal/high redudancy configuration with ASM.

--
Best Regards,
Syed Jaffar Hussain

http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#hussain

"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."

--
Charles Schultz