Re: ASM disk path in exadata

  • From: Frits Hoogland <frits.hoogland@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 13:07:24 +0100

There is no udev/path translation on the database/computing layer in =
exadata.

During startup, ASM first needs to find the disks. It does that by =
picking up the cellserver information (addresses) in =
/etc/oracle/cell/network-config/cellip.ora
Because the discovery string is set to "o/*/*", it picks up all =
griddisks available on the cellservers defined in cellip.ora

Because of the entirely different path, ASM knows it needs to =
communicate over the network to get to the griddisks, instead of using a =
locally attached disk. This combination is RDS (infiniband) on Exadata, =
but can be UDP (ethernet).

In fact, the discovery can manually be done by using kfod:
kfod asm_diskstring=3D"o/*/*", disks=3Dall
this is what the asmca uses behind the GUI to discover disks, also on =
normal platforms.
When specifying the o/*/* diskstring, kfod too reads =
/etc/oracle/cell/network-config/cellip.ora to know where to look.

Frits Hoogland

http://fritshoogland.wordpress.com
mailto:frits.hoogland@xxxxxxxxx
cell: +31 6 53569942

On Feb 21, 2012, at 10:32 AM, gaurav mehta wrote:

> I have been trying to figure out how exadata griddisks are presented =
as candidate asm disks.  We know that the disk discovery path for asm =
instances using exadata is "o/<cell_ip_address>*/<griddisk_name>*".  I =
was wondering what actual path / udev in the operating system on the db =
machine does this translate to ?.  =20