Re: ASM and disk partitions offset

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cichomitiko@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 10:34:08 +0000

Dimitre,
"I wouldn't bother" is probably incorrect. The details will depend on the
array stripe size, the sector sizes and probably the specific hardware.
That said most vendors recommend the 1mb starting point for a partition
because it has as a common divisor most of the usual allocation unit sizes
and disk label sizes. I quite like this article
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jimmymay/archive/2009/05/08/disk-partition-alignment-sector-alignment-make-the-case-with-this-template.aspx
written from a windows perspective with SQL in mind, but really the basic
issue isn't software specific. FWIW Oracle, Microsoft and VMWare all
recommend that you align your storage hardware with the FS/Volume manager
so as to avoid doing multiple IO requests where a single request would do,
references below.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/Perf_Best_Practices_vSphere4.0.pdf
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/systems-hardware-architecture/lun-alignment-163801.pdf
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929491