Re: ASM and disk partitions offset

  • From: goran bogdanovic <goran00@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cichomitiko@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 13:07:37 +0100

summarized:
misalignment may cause that physical I/O subsystem must execute more
single-block I/O calls than really necessary.

in order to eliminate possible performance penalty, it is better to align
Oracle blocks upon hardware device boundaries which can eliminate block
crossings completely by introducing an offset whose size is calculated to
ensure that Oracle block boundaries begin and end on stripe boundaries.

cheers,
goran