RE: ASM and RAW Devices on RHEL 4

  • From: "Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "johan.eriksson@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <johan.eriksson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 02:21:36 +1100

One thing to be aware of (I got caught with this one just yesterday!) is the
50-udev.permissions file seems to be read from the bottom up.  Either that or
wildcards take precedence.  I left the line in there that says

raw/*:root:disk:0660

Having lines like this below that line seem to just be ignored:

raw/raw12:crsha:oinstall:0644
raw/raw22:crsha:oinstall:0644
raw/raw42:crsha:oinstall:0644
raw/raw11:root:oinstall:0660
raw/raw21:root:oinstall:0660

You need to comment out the wildcard line (i.e. #raw/*:root:disk:0660) for it
to work.

Note I did absolutely minimal testing to prove this.  A reboot without the
wildcard line commented out didn't change the permissions correctly, a reboot
with the wildcard did.  Maybe someone with more RH4 knowledge than me can say
why this happens, I was just in a hurry to MAKE it happen.  :)

Pete

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not.  It's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA