Re: ASM and EMC PowerPath

  • From: "Radoulov, Dimitre" <cichomitiko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Zito, Matthew" <Matt_Zito@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 16:06:02 +0200

Thank you very much Matthew,
I'm forwarding your email to the list.

Best regards
Dimitre

On 15/04/2011 16:00, Zito, Matthew wrote:
Hey guys,

I haven't gotten this email address straightened out on Oracle-L yet, but I
figured I'd drop you a note, and you could forward it on to the list if you
cared to.

The doc you read is correct, powerpath will cheerfully work with any of the
devices you send IOs to, because the kernel driver intercepts requests for all
devices and routes them through itself before dishing them down the appropriate
path.

However, setting scandisks to the emcpower has the administrative benefits of
making sure the disks don't show up twice.  However, even if ASM picks the
first of the two disks, it will still be load-balanced successfully.

Thanks,
Matt Zito
(former EMC solutions architect)