RE: ASM Risk / Rewards

  • From: "Randy Johnson" <oraclelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 21:05:59 -0500

I'd suggest that there is enough reward in going to ASM in a single instance
server. Your most obvious benefits will be even distribution of data across
all spindles. Its like folding all your filesystems into one. You get even
distribution of data across all spindles while enjoying the benefit of
elimnating slack space for each filesystem. If you ever decide to add
another database to a single instance server you will be able to do so
without having to consider a file layout.

There are many other manageability and performance benefits but these are a
couple of my favorites. There is a bit of a learning curve but once you get
used to it you will wonder why it took you so long to make the move.

    -Randy

   _____