Re: ASM Risk / Rewards

  • From: Chris Dunscombe <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ag@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:09:34 +0100

Hi,

Just a quick point. A site I worked at last year was using ASM on Win 2K3 with
Oracle 10g (non RAC) without any issues. One major plus in this case was the
ability to use a stripe size of 1 MB whereas native Windows volume management
had a max stripe size of I think either 64K or 128K.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Chris

Quoting Alex Gorbachev <ag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Oracle on Windows... well this is more of a religious topic and I'm a
bit religious here even though I happen to administer few Windows
environments. :-)

I don't have any experience with ASM on Windows (I wouldn't even think
that it works but apparently it supposed to). I also don't know anyone
using ASM on Windows from which I can conclude that relying on storage
stack that very few Oracle customers use is a recipe for disaster.

Now if I add RAC there... Hm.. some people travel god knows where to
find some exotic adventures but here is an excellent opportunity! ;-)

Windows + Oracle + RAC + ASM = WORA (what a fun project)   %)