RE: ASM Risk / Rewards

  • From: "Peter McLarty" <p.mclarty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <stmontgo@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:27:31 +1000

Hi Steve
As I am currently in the thick of a PS upgrade project where we are
using RAC 10G on Linux with ASM, I guess I can give you some half
reasonable answers.

Firstly you must have a very small peoplesoft installation to be
considering only one database, I assume you mean only one Production
database. here we have three, production a testing environment where
users can do adhoc reporting, its refreshed each night and a sandpit
where the users can construct new business processes. we have over 60
clustered and single instance databases currently running one one GRID
and e now have three Grids aka clusters, one for the DBA's to hurt badly
to expand skills to have the ability to feel comfortable recovering from
most problems, node failures, SAN failures and anything else like
initial patch testing
A second for Testing Development and other similar tasks like to test
patches and peopletools upgrades and then the new production grid .

I guess your choice of Windows as your platform is due to no Linux
skills, because if you have Linux skills then you really should be going
Linux.

Database manageability is rather easy with ASM. As the DBA you get to
tune pretty near the entire tech stack as you now are down to your SAN.
I assume you are using SAN storage.

You can mirror your database between SAN's even where the SAN's are up
to 100k's apart i.e. extended RAC.

If you are doing RAC for production you need to do RAC for your test
environment as you need a parallel environment to test out applying
patches to clusterware and then ASM if you use it.

When you run out of space in your RAW volume how will you extend that
space ASM its dead easy simply add disk hot on the fly no downtime, I
don't think you get that with RAW.

people say that there are problems in ASM, its not perfect but we are
not experiencing any show stoppers. For the development and testing
environment we have a lot of databases and ASM has proven highly useful
in that environment, just add more disk and create more databases, RAW
will be a harder.

We dont have our prodcution running with users but we are going to start
testing with load testing very soon, next few weeks so we shall be
identifying issues then, I hope :-)

If you have anything more specific about this site we can take it
offline.

Cheers

Peter