RE: ASM, Flash Recovery Area, RMAN

  • From: "Wayne Adams" <work@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 21:32:54 -0700

Alex,

ASM is really a non-issue in this case.  When dealing with the Flash
Recovery Area (FRA), there is some special syntax that you can use, but the
syntax is the same whether you have your FRA in ASM or on a file system.

You either:

RMAN> backup recovery area;

which backs up everything in the recovery area to tape (see Chapter A.2 of
the OracleR Database Backup and Recovery Basics doc), or you use something
similar to the following:

RMAN> run {

allocate channel ch1 type 'sbt_tape';

backup backupset completed after 'sysdate -1' tag 'backup_bs';

}

which backs up anything backed up to disk in the last day to tape (in this
case, doesn't matter if the backups were to an arbitrary non-FRA location or
to the FRA in or out of ASM).

FYI: I'm assuming a 10.2 db.

Wayne Adams

www.wayneadamsconsulting.com

From: amonte <ax.mount@xxxxxxxxx>

To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 04:23:15 +0200

Hi

I am not sure if it's me, nobrain on Fridays or truth.

I am forced to use ASM in a 3 nodes RAC, the boss wants to use Flash

Recovery Area but then he also wants to take the backups to tape so he can

bring somewhere else

Question:

I am sure we can backup database to Flash Recovery Area (ASM ) quite happily

but how to get those to Tape? It seems to me, using ASM is either backup to

ASM or TAPE, no chance to backup to ASM, ASM to TAPE. Am I correct?

If it is so, then sucks isnt it...

Alex