Re: APEX Licensing

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 08:38:43 -0600

On 16/04/2012 9:03 AM, Jeffrey Beckstrom wrote:
> Is there a licensing cost to use APEX?  Does your database license have to
> include all of the users connecting through APEX or how is that licensed?

A few thoughts on this:

1) APEX is a feature of the database.  Features and options that require
special consideration (different rules for different editions; or
for-fee options) are listed in the database Licensing manual at
http://tahiti.oracle.com  If it is not listed, then (supposedly) the
feature is included as part of all editions at no additional charge.
This is supported by the fact that APEX is included in the 'no cost for
production license' Express Edition.

2) The APEX tech portal at
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/apex/overview/index.html
explicitly says " Oracle APEX is a fully supported, no cost option of
the Oracle database."

3) Therefore it is a reasonable assumption that you do not pay extra for
APEX as long as the database hosting APEX is properly licensed.

4) All that said: When it comes to Oracle licenses, if you make an
assumption that is not explicitly confirmed by Oracle Sales in writing,
back it up with as many paper copies and screen dumps as you can in case
Oracle decides to change their mind.  Remember that "I saw it on the
Internet" is not a valid defense in a contract dispute.

Not that Oracle ever changes the rules on licensing or ever renames
products ...

/Hans