Re: ANSI Joins

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:19:09 +0000

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:45:03 -0500, Mladen Gogala
<mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My developers are starting to use ANSI joins in vain hope that they will
> make their apps portable
> across databases.

Of course they will be portable - assuming competent devs - in fact
they will probably have similar performance characteristics across
platforms as well. Consider JAVA it too is perfectly portable and it
too performs similarly across platforms ;-)

> I have a positive attitude toward ANSI joins: I hate
> those verbose extensions
> that make SQL statements lengthy and unreadable. What is the opinion of
> other people about ANSI joins?

I like the 'ANSI' syntax, it helps me as an occasional writer of SQL
to think about what my join conditions are and what my filters are,
more to the point it certainly helps me as a frequent *reader* of SQL
understand what some developer is attempting to achieve.

I take Stephanes point that the order of execution chosen by the DBMS
may well not match the order of things in the SQL that is issued, but
the old style of doing things (everything in the where clause) also
may not match the order of execution chosen by the DBMS , but does
make it remarkably easy to miss filter or join conditions out
entirely. anything that makes good code easier to write is a good
thing in my view and the 'ANSI' layout does that at least for me.

my 2c
--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA