Re: ANSI Joins

  • From: alan.aschenbrenner@xxxxxxx
  • To: mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:03:02 -0700

Mladen,

    I also dislike ANSI syntax.  Besides it being difficult to read, the
optimizer sometimes does crazy things with ANSI syntax (especially when
involving dblinks).  I have rewritten a few selects into non-ANSI syntax,
and the optimizer has chosen a MUCH better execution plan.  I have seen
queries run for minutes in ANSI syntax, but take only seconds when
rewritten in non-ANSI syntax.  Maybe the ANSI syntax query was written
poorly, but not being proficient in it, I couldn't make any suggestions...
(these observations were made with 9i databases)

Has anyone else had this experience?

If it is an optimizer problem, maybe this is fixed in the 10g optimizer.
Anyone?

My 2 cents...

Alan

Alan Aschenbrenner
Oracle DBA
Information Handling Services
alan.aschenbrenner@xxxxxxx

Confidentiality Notice: The information in this e-mail may be confidential
and / or privileged. This e-mail is intended to be reviewed by only the
individual or organization named in the e-mail address. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination
or copying of this e-mail and attachments, if any, or the information
contained herein, is strictly prohibited.

                      Mladen Gogala

                      <mgogala@allegients        To:       "'Oracle-L
(E-mail)'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      ystems.com>                cc:

                      Sent by:                   Subject:  ANSI Joins

                      oracle-l-bounce@fre

                      elists.org

                      01/18/2005 11:45 AM

                      Please respond to

                      mgogala

My developers are starting to use ANSI joins in vain hope that they will
make their apps portable
across databases. I have a positive attitude toward ANSI joins: I hate
those verbose extensions
that make SQL statements lengthy and unreadable. What is the opinion of
other people about ANSI joins?
What is the @#$%! allure of those things? Where did they learn it from?
Is there any readable document
that explains  ANSI joins for dummies?