Re: ALTER TABLE LOCK DISABLE

  • From: K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lawrence.wolfson@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 02:13:44 +0530

Larry:

I wouldn't subscribe to DISABLE TABLE LOCKS arguement as that posses a
serious threat to HA operations.  You can not re-build indexes or do
any online table maintenence operations that requires table locking.
It was even documented in Steve's internals book. But that is for OPS.

Now with significant enhancements in RAC, with faster messaging
functions, I really do not see much performance improvement in
disabling table locks. And also what percentage gain you get from
disabling table locks is questionable..

--
Best Regards,
K Gopalakrishnan