Re: ALTER MLOG$ TABLE ADD COLUMN

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DGUPTA@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:47:24 -0800

Though I can't tell you the internals of how MV's work
( because I don't know ) I can tell you that I would be
surprised if this worked.

Doing a full database trace creating an MV log and while
 inserting into the logged table reveals quite a bit of activity
generated by the 2 actions.

The triggers for MV's are internalized from 8i on ( or was
it 8.0? - the curse of legacy knowledge strikes ) so you
can't see what those are doing either.

In any case, modifying MV's in this manner is very likely to
be supported by Oracle.

It's a rather sneaky way by your team member to try and avoid
doing a rebuild of the MV.  I would think it a good policy to
discourage directly manipulating the database in this manner
in anyting other than a test environment.

--
Jared Still