RE: AIX 5.2 - JFS2 - CIO/DIO

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Patty.Charlebois@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 09:41:14 -0700

As others have pointed out, there is no need to mount the filesystems
for your *datafiles* with cio - here is the documentation to back it up
that claim, along with further recommendation to make sure you _do_
create the filesystems for your _redologs_ with the cio option and with
agblksize=512.  This is the way I have my 10.2/AIX5.3 system configured
and it is working great.

Regards,
Brandon

From
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b15658/appa
_aix.htm#i631245:

Considerations for JFS and JFS2

If you are placing Oracle Database logs on a JFS2 file system, then the
optimal configuration is to create the file system using the
agblksize=512 option and to mount it with the cio option. This delivers
logging performance within a few percentage points of the performance of
a raw device.

Before Oracle Database 10g, Direct I/O and Concurrent I/O could not be
enabled at the file level on JFS/JFS2. Therefore, the Oracle home
directory and data files had to be placed in separate file systems for
optimal performance. The Oracle home directory was placed on a file
system mounted with default options, with the data files and logs on
file systems mounted using the dio or cio options.

With Oracle Database 10g, you can enable Direct I/O and Concurrent I/O
on JFS/JFS2 at the file level. You can do this by setting the
FILESYSTEMIO_OPTIONS parameter in the server parameter file to setall or
directIO. This enables Concurrent I/O on JFS2 and Direct I/O on JFS for
all data file I/O. Because the directIO setting disables asynchronous
I/O it should normally not be used. As a result of this 10g feature, you
can place data files on the same JFS/JFS2 file system as the Oracle home
directory and still use Direct I/O or Concurrent I/O for improved
performance. As mentioned earlier, you should still place Oracle
Database logs on a separate JFS2 file system for optimal performance.

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Patty.Charlebois@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Does anyone have any experience with AIX 5.2 - JFS2 and recommendations
for mounting the filesystems and using CIO/DIO with Oracle 10.2?