ADDM Oddities

  • From: Peter Barnett <regdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 07:28:12 -0700 (PDT)

We have a vendor package which has a lot of performance problems.  Naturally,
from their perspective it is the database.  I have drifted into and out of this
implementation so I do not necessarily have all of the facts but here are the
questions.

The vendor relies heavily on ADDM.  I looked at an ADDM report that
specifically said parsing is not a problem but the app does not reuse any code.
 Every execution requires a parse.  What's up with ADDM?

I was poking around in the database and found that one entire schema had never
been analyzed.  Digging in further, I found that all of the statistics for the
other schemas were stale.  Again, this was not flagged in ADDM.  This seems
pretty basic to me.  Maybe too basic and no one would imagine a 10g database
without current statistics.

Anyway, the output just struck me as somewhat odd and misleading.

Pete Barnett
Database Technologies Lead
Regence