Re: A good OS centric discussion on performance

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: john d parker <orclwzrd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 23:15:41 -0500

On 02/22/2006 10:56:53 PM, john d parker wrote:
> Don't forget SGI. One of the best performing and best instrumented
> platforms out there for Oracle databases until Oracle abandoned them.
> NUMA with CRAYlinks. processes could move from processor memory to
> processor memory and it just flew.
>
> PS. Oracle please support SGI again...

I concur. I worked on Indigo, Indy and Challenge boxes, together with
Joze Senegacnik, another member of this group. Beautiful boxes, even
for today's standard (Irix 4 and Irix 5 at that time). Indy used to
have a webcam long, long time before it became standard. Playing bz
was fun, too. Good, old days!
--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com