A few questions regarding Dataguard Faststart Failover

  • From: "Zhu,Chao" <zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 13:34:11 +0800

The reason we are thinking about using Fast Start Failover with DataGuard
is, some of our database we plan to move to DAS (locally in the machine)
instead of SAN;
But then we will need some sort of failover capability with Dataguard;

For previous solution on SAN, we have mature process to do the failover(in
case of a node crash),  though it took little bit long (typically 15 -20
min) due to big SAN storage diskgroup deport/import, all failover needs, and
slow start of roacle with big SGA(took 3-5 min to start a instance);

So we were thinking about using dataguard with FSFO to do automatic failover
in case of a primary node crashes; And per industry feedback, it is much
faster than our traditional VCS failover;

So we have a few questions regarding this:
1. We already have dataguard configured for most of our database (10.2.0.3/4);
Now we want to use dataguard FSFO; Is this part of the dataguard license and
do we need to pay extra for that?

2. Is the production mature already(it come out in 10.2 i believe); We plan
to use it on 11g database only (11.2 and 11.1.0.7);  Clustering is something
typical DBA not familiar with(compared with VSC type of HA  for Unix guys)

3 . How does it work in real-life production? Any company widely using it? I
saw notes from a Amazon DBA on
http://www.nocoug.org/download/2009-05/DBA%27s_Guide_to_Physical_Dataguard_II.pptxtalking
about FSFO; Not sure about their real-life experience running that
kind of solution;

It is appreciated if other DBAs can share the real-life experience; like
bugs known,

--
Regards
Zhu Chao