A bit of fun

  • From: Jared.Still@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:41:21 -0700

While perusing a paper from OOW Australia:
http://download-west.oracle.com/openworld/melbourne/all_melbourne_ppts/DB_B_09.PDF
I noticed the claim that 10g PL/SQL is 2x faster than 9i PL/SQL.
Further reading showed the native compilation helped bolster that claim,
but
nonetheless it sounded like an interesting diversion before heading off
to the Change Control Meeting.

Using my trusty prime generator, the following times were given for
generating
all primes up < 100,000.

8i:      4.1 seconds
9i:      1.9 seconds
10g:  1.45 seconds

Though interpreted PL/SQL in 10g does not appear to be 2x faster than  in
9i,
there is still a fair bit of improvement.

This is admittedly not a thorough test, but only takes a few minutes.

Code is at http://www.cybcon.com/~jkstill/prime6.html  if interested.

Jared