Re: A Book Suggestion for Performance Tuning 10g & 11g

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 19:24:12 -0700

On 28/01/2013 6:15 PM, John Hurley wrote:
> Pretty good list for sure.
>
> Personally I would recommend reading Cary Millsaps book several times from
> cover
> to cover ... then do it again ... and again.
>
> Do that before looking at any of the other books.  Period.
>
> You need to have a methodology and a perspective before digging into details.

For "read it first and know it off by heart", I'm willing to put
Jonathan Lewis', Tom Kyte's, and Cary Milsap's books on equal footing.
Pick any of the three and go through it, then on to the next, and the
next, and start over.  I think I'm on the 10th reading of each of them.

Cary's book is deceptively small.  And brilliant.  And filled to
overflow with amazing thinks.  But the methodology assumes clear and
comprehensive knowledge of the basics, and the other two nail that
aspect.  This is a case of "the sum is huge bunches more than the
parts."  And the parts are pretty amazing by themselves.

Hans