RE: 9i or 10g, which one to upgrade to?

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:07:39 -0500

Brandon,

I would migrate to 10g if I were you.  9i is scheduled for desupport in
July 2007.  So going to 9i now means another migration in about 16
months.

In your case, you don't *need* to use any new features for your
application.  You don't say what kind of application you are supporting,
but if you are "simple" OLTP or warehouse application, then you should
be fine.  Oracle didn't break anything major in this new release.  They
added a ton of new stuff, but you don't need to use any of it.

I would go now.  Plan a migration path.  Get your development instances
up and running and have your developers work with it.  If all goes well,
move forward.

Good luck.

Tom