Re: 9.2.0.3 Upgrade 9.2.0.7 -basic Advanced Replication/Materialized View

  • From: "Yavor Ivanov" <Yavor_Ivanov@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Leng.Kaing@xxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 18:15:43 +0300

        Hi, Leng

        I have setup with 12 servers running (1 master and 11 snapshot sites)
with > 1000 snapshots on ~10 groups replicating to any of the sites. We have
some very andavnced things like 3-tier replication, triggers, etc. I've managed
this system for years, and I can tell you there is nothing special for any
patch/upgrade/migration (I'we walked the path form 8i->9iR1->9iR2->10gR1). In
fact, there was only one very nasty bug in 8i->9i migration, but this is not
your case.
        So, in brief: just do anything as in the docs and you will not have any
problems. But there are some things you could do, just to be sure:
        - first, push all deffered transactions form mview site to master site.
        - ensure job_queue_processes is 0 (this is written in the upgrade guide
also, but it is very important for your case)
        - do backup of the system you are going to patch/upgrade/migrate
        - upgrade
        - TEST! test with just one snapshot, or one transaction, in each
direction. If the master is catching transactions, if snapshot site is catching
transactions, is everything replicated fine and so on. If something gets messy
and you need to restore from a backup, you will have to regenerate the snapshot
you've tested with.
        - if everything is fine with one mview, test if the whole group is
refreshed fine. I foud a bug with mviews upgraded to 10g form 9i if they were
initialy created in 8i -> then you can not refresh the group (well, there is
walkarround).
        - if everything is fine again, let JOB_WUEUE_PROCESSES be more.

Regards,
Yavor Ivanov
Senior Database Expert
Stemo Ltd