Re: 8i-10g upgrade

  • From: Yechiel Adar <adar666@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: guillermo.bort@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 08:15:45 +0200

Hello

I researched streams extensively just last week and it does not copy the existing data. You need to create a new database that is a copy of the current database, using expdp/impdp or rman, and then streams will keep them the same.

Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel

Bort, Guillermo wrote:

Hi everyone,

We have a 10g database with over 3.5 TB of data. This supports a SAPR3 application. However, this database has been upgraded twice since it was originally created and the upgrade went from 8i to 9i to 10gr2. It has come to be somewhat unmanageable since It's so big and most tablespaces are 'Dictionary Managed' (thanks 8i). We have been trying to solve this by migrating the tablespaces to locally managed, but there are a couple of tablespaces that are humongous and simply there is not enough time during a weekend to do this change. CT cannot tolerate any more downtime. At this point we are drawing a blank... so I thought I could ask over here, perhaps someone has a little experience with these sort of issues.

I considered creating a second database (which would require about 3.5 TB of temporary storage), and using streams or datapump to move all the data... however I never implemented streams in this way and am not certain it could be done.

Thanks in advanced.

*Guillermo Alan Bort*

DBA / DBA Main Team

*EDS*, an HP company

ITO

Arias 1851

Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires (C1429DXC)

Argentina

Tel: +54 11 4704-3132

E-mail: guillermo.bort@xxxxxxx <mailto:name.name@xxxxxxx>

We deliver on our commitments