8i to 9i Upgrade Path

  • From: "Ken Payton" <Ken.Payton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 07:52:59 -0400

I am looking for feedback to a plan I've conceptually put together for =
implementing a 8i to 9i database upgrade.  I'm hoping others will be =
able to identify holes/gaps in my plan that I may not see, and hopefully =
spark ideas for others.

Background
  This is a multi-terabyte database that is primarily read-only and =
updated via transportable tablespaces.  A few application tables are =
being updated but this is a very small portion of the database and =
isolated to their own tablespace.

Requirements
  o A series of regression tests will be performed in a QA environment =
with a subset of the database.  This regression testing will span across =
a couple weeks.
  o A scheduled "GO/NO GO" test will occur starting on a Friday night =
and last throughout the weekend.  The goal is to stress the system and =
measure multiple performance measurements.  In the event the "NO GO" =
decision is made the database needs to be reversed to it's state on =
Friday, otherwise it will be left up :)

Problems to Overcome
  o Oracle's limited ability to rollback an upgrade
  o Time constraints for backup/recovery of multi-terabyte environment
  o Inability to build complete copy of the database for complete =
QA/stress tests.
  o Inability to house two copies of the database on the same machine
   ** something to keep in mind is we have two copies of the production =
database that are in use.  We require both database during production in =
order to sustain load and for fail-over situations and do not desire for =
either to be down during normal business hours.

Plan
  o Perform sanity tests in QA environment with subset of database.
=20
  o Upgrade procedure
    o build a new 9i database(9iDB) on the same machine with similar =
configuration as 8i version(8iDB).
    o halt all activity on 8iDB
    o use tt(transportable tablespace) to migrate copies of the =
application tables from 8iDB to 9iDB
    o use tt to create export dmp's of the read only tablespaces in 8iDB
    o create file listings from 8iDB to correspond with the tt exports =
taken
    o shut down the 8iDB, preserving it's current configuration
    o import the 8iDB datafiles using the tt dmp's.
    o  ** DO NOT READ WRITE ANY TABLESPACES **
    o Multiple exchange commands will occur and some partitioning will =
be changed in 9iDB but only at a logical level.  The data is never =
manipulated and the tablespaces are never put into READ WRITE mode.
    o Perform stress testing/performance review("GO" / "NO GO")
      o if "GO"
        o Leave up for production use
        o After one week of use, Read write all tablespaces and cleanup =
8iDB.
      o if "NO GO"
        o shut down 9iDB
        o startup 8iDB
        o leave 8iDB up Monday morning ** Since no changes have been =
made to the 8iDB structures, no data has been manipulated, and =
tablespaces have not been put into READ WRITE mode, 8iDB should be in =
exact state as before test.
        o review issues, identify work around, reschedule upgrade for =
next window

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Kenny Payton
Choicepoint Public Records Group