8.1.5 upgrade paths to 10.2.x

  • From: development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 17:56:10 +0200 (CEST)

Hello group!

I have got a tricky problem at hand - migrate an Oracle 8.1.5 on Solaris
7 database to 10.2.0.x on AIX. The problem here is that I am not allowed
much downtime. Having started with Oracle 8i I am not too sure how that
can be done. Obviously to get from 8.1.5 I have to go to 8.1.7 first, a
direct update is supported which is good. I am thinking of a new Oracle
home on the same machine, copying the database and migrating it.

From there on I don't see any other way than exp/imp using pipes for
faster processing. It is a bit of a mystery how I can keep the downtime
low, the database is some 60GB in size btw.

Thanks for any input on this,

Martin