RE: 64-Bit Oracle on Windows 2003

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 16:06:45 -0700

Hi Donald, I haven't been following this thread so please forgive me if
I'm repeating something that's already been said, but you should be
aware that migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit alone (all other variables
remaining the same) can be expected to actually degrade performance
slightly.  The benefit of migrating to 64-bit only comes from the fact
that you can now easily access much more RAM.  So, if you determine that
your application would benefit from more RAM, then the migration to
64-bit will be helpful assuming you also allocate more memory to your
instance.  On the other hand, if your application is CPU bound or
bottlenecked by something else (e.g. locking, network communication,
etc.), then moving to 64-bit and allocating more RAM isn't going to help
at all.

Regards,
Brandon