Re: 64 node Oracle RAC Cluster (The reality of...)

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kennaim@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 04:55:57 +0000

On 06/23/2005 12:27:48 AM, Ken Naim wrote:
> I haven't worked with ASM so I cannot comment on whether to use it or not
> however a couple reasons to use it could be cost and support. AFAIK there is
> no extra charge for ASM and Veritas is very expensive for any/all of their
> products. As for support it is better to talk one set of support staff
> instead of 2 pointing fingers at each other without having to pay extra for
> VOS support.

There is an old saying that you get what you pay for. Reliability of the
company's
database is not the main thing to save money at. You can have New Year with
Heineken
instead of Dom Perignon and that's perfectly alright. Saving money on
reliability is
not alright. ASM is an LVM. The common wisdom dictates not to use it until it
becomes
reliable. Think about it this way: if your ASM storage becomes corrupt (has
happened),
your database will be corrupt as well and you will have to restore it from
backup (it
must be RMAN, because nothing else works with ASM) and  recover it. During that
time
your database will be inaccessible to its users and your CIO will have plenty
of time
to think about you and your advice. It is very likely that you will have to
exercise
your resume-writing skills as soon as the database is back on-line. Your
professional
reputation may suffer from the fact that your database was down for hours and
that is
not a good thing. I'd rather go with something like OCFS or GFS or UFS (SUN)
then with
ASM. Even raw devices are very reliable, if somewhat cumbersome. Oracle Support
is a
great psychological help if you don't have at least silver support. They'll
gladly
pray for you.
--
Mladen Gogala