RE: 64 node Oracle RAC Cluster (The reality of...)

  • From: "Ken Naim" <kennaim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:27:48 -0500

I haven't worked with ASM so I cannot comment on whether to use it or not
however a couple reasons to use it could be cost and support. AFAIK there is
no extra charge for ASM and Veritas is very expensive for any/all of their
products. As for support it is better to talk one set of support staff
instead of 2 pointing fingers at each other without having to pay extra for
VOS support.

As we all know Oracle incorporates many new products/features with each new
release, many of which do not pan out. Some of these products however make
our lives much easier and within a few years become very robust and we
wonder how we lived without them in the past. Time will tell which category
ASM will fall into. At least Oracle doesn't force you to use these new
features for many many years after they come out.

For example RMAN is now a very mature product that I whole heartedly support
although when it first came out about 7 years ago I didn't see a need for it
and thought the existing method of doing backups at the time were far
superior. Today, after seven years we can still use hot and cold backup
scripts if we choose too, even with their shortcomings.

I personally like the fact that Oracle is innovative and they keep adding
useful features regardless if they develop it in-house or via acquisition.
If they didn't keep improving their core product(s) they themselves would be
acquired; possibly by a company in Redmond WA and then where would we be? I
would cherish the day when any company programmed out all the routine tasks
of database management. I know we are still far from it (one can dream), but
I believe progress is being made.

Ken Naim
Oracle DBA & Developer