RE: 4 Primary partitions limitations

  • From: "Bort, Guillermo" <guillermo.bort@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 05:08:02 -0600

If I understand this correctly, the luns will be presented a different 'disks'
to Linux, such as /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, etc. in such case, you can create up to
four primary partitions in each of those 'disks'. As for ASM, since it uses raw
devices on linux, you can create extended partitions and it works fine.

I have a RHEL4U6 with Oracle10g (10.2.0.4). Database is completely in ASM
(except for a few testing datafiles) and disk configuration due to hardware
restrictions is:

/dev/sda1               /boot
/dev/sda2               /
/dev/sda3               /var
/dev/sda4               extended
        /dev/sda5       /usr
        /dev/sda6       /var/lib/vmware(something)
        /dev/sda7       /u01
        /dev/sda8       raw
        /dev/sda9       raw
        /dev/sda10      swap

So, I guess this is all aimed to show that while you certainly *can* have
extended partitions as ASM Diskgroups, it's not necessary to create extended
partition on secondary disks.

HTH

Guillermo Alan Bort
DBA / DBA Main Team

EDS, an HP company
ITO
Arias 1851
Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires (C1429DXC)
Argentina

Tel: +54 11 4704-3132
E-mail: guillermo.bort@xxxxxxx

We deliver on our commitments