3rd try: Linux database server upgrade (hardware only)

  • From: "Ramadoss, Karthik" <Karthik.Ramadoss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 12:49:14 +0000

Let me try this again.
I am working on upgrading our Linux servers running Oracle database to a newer
generation with faster CPUs and more RAM. I just wanted to share my plan to the
list and see if there are any holes or gotchas that I have missed.

Setup:

Current servers:
64 bit AMD architecture
Oracle Linux 5.6
Mix of 10.2.0.4 and 11.2.0.3
Data/Oracle Home stored on LUNs from EMC SAN

New servers:
64 bit Intel architecture
Oracle Linux 5.6
Same database versions
Use same LUNs moved to this new server

Plan:
Pre go-live
1.       Install Oracle Linux 5.6 on new servers with temporary hostnames
2.       Copy critical OS config files or match the Oracle OS requirements
3.       Do a fresh Oracle Home installs (I believe this would be the
recommended way if not mandatory when changing CPU architecture?)
4.       Copy all individual database config files, *.ora files, etc.
5.       Prep the new servers for RMAN backups, scripts

Go live day
6.       Shutdown databases on old servers
7.       Unmount LUNs from old server
8.       Shutdown old servers
9.       Do the EMC magic to attach the LUNs to new hosts
10.   Change the hostname on new server to production hosts
11.   Mount LUNS on new server verifying the LUN-mount point matches old
environment
12.   Fire up the databases and the listener
13.   Enjoy a cold one
I have just listed the core database move steps and of course there will be lot
more prep work to get the scripts, cron jobs and scheduled processes moved
over. I would love to hear from anyone else who has done a similar task or if
you have any inputs.

Thanks in advance,
Karthik
Senior Oracle DBA