RE: 3rd Party Database health check

  • From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:29:32 -0600

Niall - My first reaction is that if the DBA team's credibility is that low,
perhaps they should focus on improving their credibility. If the outside
people say that everything is just great, then management doesn't feel they
received their money's worth. So naturally the consultants have to find a
few things. Then the next issue is whether these are really serious issues
or just small issues the consultants are making a big deal of and whether
management will know the difference. Then your credibility will really be in
tatters.
    Often consultants are most use are when you already know the conclusions
you want them to reach. For instance if the backup configuration is
inadequate, but management doesn't want to buy more equipment. If the
consultants point that out, then it may be clearer to senior management.
    I could also see where very new sites or sites that are extremely
complex or sites that are anticipating enormous growth might benefit from an
outside review.
    I also have a form if you want to audit your own database.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxx