RE: 30+ long db_link names and dbms_metadata.get_ddl

  • From: "Dan Fink" <Dan.Fink@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: darrell@xxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 11:04:04 -0500

I wrote a series of scripts that combined the 50% of DBMS_METADATA that worked
with custom calls for the 50% that did not. I logged multiple TARs (even more
than when I was working on 7.0.? OPS on OpenVMS), turned them into several bugs
and railed against the horrible documentation. I really despise it when the
conceptual documentation is written by marketing and the user documentation is
written by the original programming team. No offense to programmers (I was one
once...and still am to some degree), but they tend to write as if they were the
audience. They are obviously very smart, but need to remember that we are all
not as smart, or at least not as smart in the same areas. I did manage to find
some articles on the web about DBMS_METADATA, but it was all a regurgitation of
the documentation and not useful at all.

I played around with the 10gR1 version and found it was living up to it's
promise. Much easier to use and you could actually extract a simple schema with
one call! I have not used it in a year, so it may have changed substantially.
All in all, it is a great little feature. The upside of the 9i version is that
I learned a great deal about long -> clob conversion, extracting ddl using
hierarchical queries to resolve most dependencies, etc.

Regards,
Dan Fink