Re: 3 par recovery manager for Oracle (HP Product)

  • From: Mark Bobak <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx" <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>, ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 16:35:11 +0000

Thin provisioning just means that not all the space that the storage array has
promised you, is actually reserved and allocated to you.

If devices are thin provisioned, you could ask for 1TB of storage, and you'd
think, from the host's point of view, that you have 1TB of storage.  But, if
you've only used 200GB, that's all the array has allocated to you.

-Mark

From: Dba DBA
<oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM
To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: Re: 3 par recovery manager for Oracle (HP Product)

our SAs are talking about something called 'thin provisioning'. I have not had
a chance to dig into that.