RE: 2GB or not 2GB (datafile limit)? That is the question.

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 08:16:11 -0700

>>>The "largest number of Oracle blocks per file" limit still
>>>applies.  That's around 30GB with 8K block sizes.
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
might as well be precise. It is (2^21) - 1 Oracle blocks
per datafile which with an 8KB block is 8K short of 16GB.

A 10g BIGFILE tablespace supports 2^32 blocks which is 32TB
for a single file tablespace...they are limited to 1 file per
tablespace.

The whole topic is noise really, modern Oses handle axtremely large
numbers of file descriptors without issue... so choose what makes
sense...  our QA tests here include OLTP stress tests with databases
that consist of 16383 datafiles "evenly" distributed throughout
512 filesystems...just for bounds testing...