RE: 2GB or not 2GB (datafile limit)? That is the question.

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 11:31:46 -0700

>>>datafile size for a different reason.  Almost all our
>>>servers (Linux and
>>>HPUX) are on one of our SANs and we've found that the OSs
>>>tend to give each mount point the same (on average) fraction
>>>of I/O bandwidth to the SANs.

  Note, I am aware of no OS that arbitrarily limits
I/O in flight on a mount basis. It is most generally a LUN
basis in which case you could slice your LUN extrememly
thin, create a bunch of filesystems in it, mount them and
have no more throughtput than a single LUN. This is evident
in a lot of HBA drivers out there ... but the number is
shrinking (or at least the queue depths are getting so
deep you wont notice).