Re: 2GB or not 2GB (datafile limit)? That is the question.

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: JApplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 09:46:06 -0700

On 9/8/06, JApplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <JApplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Rich,

I don't know about OS issues, but we also stick to a max 2GB datafile size
for a different reason.  Almost all our servers (Linux and HPUX) are on one
of our SANs and we've found that the OSs tend to give each mount point the
same (on average) fraction of I/O bandwidth to the SANs.  This was
startlingly obvious when, at the recommendation of one of our SysAdmins, we
put a Production database all under 1 mount point and its performance
suffered greatly - no detailed analysis, it was just obvious.  When we
spread that same database across multiple mount points on the same server
and SAN, performance improved dramatically.

That seems rather strange.

It likely had more to do with disk configuration rather than the number of
mount points.

-- Jared Still Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist