Re: 12c grid control

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 19:33:33 +1000

On 2/07/2013 10:57 PM, Justin Mungal wrote:
> I'm sure many folks are with  you. What is surprising to me is that
 > this would even upset anyone's sensibilities. It's well known that
 > when a new product becomes available, early adopters who want the
 > bleeding edge technology adopt it and smooth it out until it matures
 > and is more widely adopted over time.

Goes without saying.  But sometimes we need to remind ourselves of that.
I understand the enthusiasm caused by new releases only too well:
after all, I used to be in that street for a long time.
Nowadays? I've wised up.  ;-)

> 2 years is a bit more  conservative than I would be for a new release
 > of Oracle specifically, but I see nothing outlandish about it at all.

(Peter, this will be music to your ears!)  :-)

I don't think there is any naive from you on this.  Oracle has improved
somewhat in the last 10 years on product stability.  Mostly because with
very large RAC dbs , either the blessed thing improves or there will be
dire consequences if not.
Which is great for those of us who are far away from bleeding edge stuff
and don't run ACFS+ASM+GI+RAC+Exwhatever - and whatever other infernal
combination a sales drone has managed to flog on unsuspecting prospects.

This is why I upgraded all my dbs to 10.2.0.3 4 years ago and I am now
on 11.2.0.3 - when by my chronology I should be on 11.1.something.  I
actually jumped the gun a bit and went with the latest.

Mostly because I attended Mike Dietrich's seminars here and I was so
well impressed with his team's approach to upgrade methodology that I
decided to go with the latest!  Not only that but there is now a
"Nuno-presentation" in the Sydney Oracle Meetup library that shows what
we did, how, when, and has been very well received by our user community
- with quite a few claiming they are a lot less reluctant to upgrade as
a result.

It is quite likely that something similar may happen with DB12, but for
now I'm keeping my options open.

(OK, Pete: go suck a lemon to wipe that smile off your face!)

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto