Re: 12c grid control

  • From: Tim Hall <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Kellyn Pot'vin" <kellyn.potvin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 23:39:07 +0100

Hi.

RE: EM12c
Have to agree with Kellyn here. All our monitoring and scheduling is
done using EM12c and it is great. I keep telling people, once you try
Cloud Control, you won't go back to other tools (except SQL*PLus).
It's definitely a production-ready solution, backed by an 11g DB
repository!

Typically, the "tools" lag well behind from a database perspective.
You find old (and stable) versions of databases and clients for a long
time. For example, we are using 11gR2 Forms and Reports Services,
which is still shipped with an 11.1.0.7 client. :) In the same way,
it's going to take a while for EM12c to be fixed up to use 12cR1
database as the repository home.

RE: DB 12cR1
I certainly wouldn't be trusting any production databases or my OMS
repository to DB 12cR1 any time soon. My Cloud Control installation is
a production system. If that fails I have no backups! Of course, if we
have some play DB 12cR1 in the organization, I will happily monitor
them using Cloud Control. :)

RE: Stable/Buggy
It depends. Everyone talks about how shocking feature X is on version
Y of the database, but not everyone is using every feature. Not every
database is mission critical. Some systems will work quite happily on
the buggiest piece of crap. We have some systems I would gladly run on
12cR1, safe in the knowledge it would take 20 minutes to switch back
to 11gR2. Yes, they are that small! :) That's what testing is all
about.

For me, the biggest factor is I'm going to be a 12c newbie for a
couple of years, so it would be wrong of me to advise people to jump
to it until I no longer feel like a newbie. I've been playing with it
for a few days and I'm already getting people asking me questions
about it. Go figure. :) If I wait until 12cR2 before I start learning
this stuff I'm going to be in real trouble when someone asks me in 18
months to do a 11gR2 > 12cR2 upgrade. Companies have to get involved
now, or the will get in real trouble when the time comes to try it
out. I wrote this a while ago:

http://www.oracle-base.com/blog/2013/03/03/how-can-we-make-oracle-database-12cr2-the-best-release-ever/

Cheers

Tim...