Re: 11g password complexity

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kathryn axelrod <kat.axe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:56:09 -0700 (PDT)

You're right, Kathryn. I was wrong. verify_function_11G removed the punctuation
mark check.

It's interesting to note that 11gR1 Security Guide still recommends "include at
least 1 punctuation mark"
http://www.comp.dit.ie/btierney/Oracle11gDoc/network.111/b28531/authentication.htm#CHDFDHAJ

In 11gR2, it changes to "can include multibyte characters", "can include the
underscore (_), dollar ($), and number sign (#) characters"
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/network.112/e10574/guidelines.htm#CHDEGEIF

I think one reason the punctuation mark check is removed is that adding mixed
case letters causes brute force password cracking much harder than including
punctuation marks, 26 more possibilities versus less than 20 or so (in fact,
much lower considering people's habit of only using a few familiar punctuation
marks). And the inconvenience of enclosing the password with punctuation marks
in double quotes is not worth it.

Yong Huang