11g Tablespace Encryption

  • From: "Ted Coyle" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:59:56 -0400

I attended a Tom Kyte Oracle presentation yesterday where he discussed 11g
Tablespace encryption among other features. A  question came up in one of
the technical sessions concerning when the decryption took place and does
any of the encrypted data ever wind up unencrypted in any of Undo/Redo/Temp
control structures.  The presenter didn't have an answer and Tom had zoomed
out of there after the keynote so no chance to "Ask Tom Live" so to speak.

Here's what I found in the 11g docs:
"Transparent encryption/decryption takes place during disk input/output
(I/O) and not for every logical access to the data. This leads to improved
performance."
-------
"The encrypted data is protected during operations like JOIN and SORT. This
means that the data is safe when it is moved to temporary tablespaces. Data
in undo and redo logs is also protected."

I'm interested in more info on this, so any links or comments are
appreciated.

Also, has anyone tested this feature for performance?  Tom noted possible
performance issues during the presentation.

-Ted