11.2.0.2 RAC Directory Structure

  • From: "Uzzell, Stephan" <SUzzell@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 16:04:27 +0000

Morning, all,
We're slowly starting to work with 11.2.0.2 for more of our environments, and
learning some of the tricks and gotchas with it.

One question that we have not found a logical answer for is handling the
directory structure (we're on Windows, but I suspect this is broader than a
Windows question). In our 10g installs, we aimed for a very simple directory
structure for our three Oracle Homes:

D:\oracle\1020\CRS
D:\oracle\1020\ASM
D:\oracle\1020\DB
D:\oracle\admin\... for the ASM and DB dump destinations.

11g has changed things by a) adding the ORACLE_BASE as something we need to
explicitly define; and b) the out-of-place upgrades. The out-of-place upgrades
are not too much trouble - we'll simply change the directory name from
D:\oracle\11201\... to D:\oracle\11202\... and so on.

The Oracle Base, however, is something we're struggling to find a best practice
for. For the Grid Infrastructure, the recommendation (and OUI very strongly
suggests this) is to put the ORACLE_HOME outside of the ORACLE_BASE; for the
Database, the Home should be within the Base.

How do people handle this? Can the two Oracle Bases be the same?

Any advice on this would be appreciated...
stephan

Stephan Uzzell