Re: 11.201 to 11.202 in-place upgrade

  • From: "Tim Gorman" <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Uzzell, Stephan" <SUzzell@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx'" <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 18:02:37 +0000

Another bit of advice that might be fairly generic...
With a recent 11.2.0.3.0 upgrade, we ran into a fatal error during
installation/upgrade (i.e. "invalid entry size, expected XXX got YYY bytes")
which indicated that our installation/upgrade media files (i.e.
"pNNNNNNN_platform_XofY.zip") had been corrupted during download from
support.oracle.com.

Compariing our SHA1 and MD5 checksums against the digest proved that wrong, but
as we were unzipping those ".zip" files onto NFS-mounted file-systems from the
target servers, we instead re-unzipped the downloaded archive files from the
NFS server itself (i.e. on local drives) and the error from OUI disappeared.

Upshot: feel free to stage and use installation/upgrade media on NFS, but be
cautious about unzipping them on NFS.