Re: 11.2 RAC without SCAN

  • From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Maaz Anjum <maazanjum@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 16:20:50 -0600

Yes, you are correct you can do it in the hosts file and it should work for
lab purposes.  Being the kind of guy I am, I used my lab RAC setup to learn
to configure my own DNS server, with passthru for anything besides the SCAN
address.  Amazingly it only took me about a day to get it configured.   I
thought it was well worth the trouble.    The gui, system-config-bind, for
linux is actually pretty good, though not well documented.  Rather than
cheating with the hosts file, you might consider just setting up a little
dns server as others have suggested.  The final and most confusing piece
for me was setting up the resolv.conf files.  They get re-created on each
boot for some reason, so I ended up having to copy them back in at each
boot using my rc.local file to get everything to work right on the cluster.

--
Andrew W. Kerber