RE: 10gr2 - ready for prime time

  • From: "BOWES, CHRIS" <Chris.Bowes@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: adar76@xxxxxxxxxxxx, ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 07:45:56 -0600

When I installed my 10.2 listener (win2k) and tried to get it to talk to
my 8i bases, it wouldn't.  Opened a tar and was told that since 8i was
not supported when 10.2 came out, they will not support 10.2 talking to
8i.  10.1 does talk to 8i and is supported as 8i was still in support at
the time it came out.  They tried several workarounds, none worked.
Final answer was to upgrade the 8 bases to 9 or higher, which is what
the project was anyway.

Here's the snippet from the TAR.

16-OCT-05 01:22:21 GMT

UPDATE
=======
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the update.

The error '32-bit Windows Error: 2: No such file or directory' indicates
the 10gR2 TNS Listener is failing
to execute 'Oracle.exe' in the Oracle8i R3 Oracle Home.

This may very well fall into a certifcation and interoperability issue
since Oracle Developement will
only test and certify newly released products with currently supported
(product
ion) product versions. However, Oracle8i R3 (8.1.7.4) was out of code
support b
y the time Oracle10g R2 was released earlier this summer. Therefore, we
will do
our best to solve your issue. However, if there is no available
workaround, or
fix for this version of Oracle, you may need to migrate to a supported
version t
o solve this problem.

Please see the Action Plan below.

<snip>